The school SEND Leader (Senco) is Mrs. Maggie Whittaker


SEN Policy 

Please click here to read our SEN Policy


SEND Code of Practice

Details of the current code of practise can be found here


To accompany the SEND code of practice a guide for carers and parents was published which can be accessed here

This guide explains how the system that supports children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities works.

It covers:

  • the law and statutory guidance on which the system is based
  • places to go for help and further information
  • details about changes to the system that took place from September 2014


Grange Moor Primary School SEN Report 

Please have a look at our SEN report that aims to answer some of the questions you may have about how your child is supported at Grange Moor Primary School. This report was written in conjunction with parents and the SEN governor and updated in September 2020. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator Mrs. Maggie Whittaker





Mr Mark Rodgers


Mrs Maggie Whittaker

Governor with responsibility for SEN

Mrs Helen Myers

Contact details: address

Grange Moor Primary School,

Liley Lane,

Grange Moor




Email (admin)


Email (SENCo)


Telephone (admin)

01924 840748

Telephone (SENCo)

01924 840748

Local Offer webpage link


Age range

4-11 years


Kirklees LA


How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • We receive information from pupils’ previous early years settings (e.g. pre-school, nurseries etc... ) and also from previous schools if children are transferring from another school.
  • Before any child starts in reception, home visits are made by the reception class teacher during which parents can discuss any of their concerns. The reception class teacher also liaises closely with other caregivers (e.g. child-minders and local nurseries) to discuss any concerns about what help individual children may need with the transition to school and puts in place any additional support that may be needed.
  • The progress of all pupils is monitored regularly by class teachers and the head teacher, so that when a pupil is not making expected progress in a particular area of learning the school can quickly identify the need for additional support. This will then be discussed with parents/carers and the pupil concerned.
  • If parents/carers have concerns about the progress or attainment of their child they should in the first instance make an appointment to speak to the class teacher to discuss their concerns, who will then liaise with our Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) as appropriate.


 How will the school support my child with SEND? 

  • All teachers at Grange Moor Primary School will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • When the school identifies the need for a specific intervention to enable a pupil to make progress, the parents/carers will be informed of the planned support and may be invited to a meeting at the school to discuss this further. If the pupil meets the criteria for special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), a plan of the interventions they are to receive will be created, detailing the exact support the pupil will receive at Wave 1, Wave 2 or Wave 3. This may be either detailed on a provision map or an individual plan. If an individual plan is thought necessary, this could be in the form of an Individual Needs Plan (INP), A Support Plan or An Education, Health and Care Plan, dependent on the complexity of need. A copy of any plan will be provided to parents.
  • Our school provision map shows the range of interventions in place in our school which may be used when we identify a need for additional support.
  • Additional support for your child may be provided by the class teacher and/or may also involve:
  1. Other staff in the school
  2. Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority Central Services such as the ASD outreach team or from Children’s Therapy Services such as Occupational Therapists
  3. Staff who visit from outside agencies.
  • We will monitor the progress of all children receiving additional support to ensure that the provision we have put in place is having the impact we are expecting.
  • Governors are responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the provision in place for pupils identified with SEND and they will receive a report from the SENCO on the progress of pupils with SEND.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • All teachers are made fully aware of the needs of individual pupils so that they can plan the learning within our curriculum to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress.
  • Differentiation is planned for groups and individuals according to need: for example, for a child who has Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN), teachers will use simplified language and/or pictures to support them to understand new vocabulary.


How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Annual reports and Parents’ Evenings give all parents and carers regular feedback on their child’s up to date academic levels, individual reading, writing and maths targets and any behavioural, emotional or social difficulties.
  • When appropriate, parents/carers may be contacted mid-term to discuss the support that the school are providing and how they can help their child at home: this may be a phone call or a meeting. Pupils’ views will be obtained and when appropriate, they may attend all or part of any meeting.
  • Parents are also welcome to make appointments with the class teacher, SENCO or Head teacher at any time of the year if they need to discuss their child’s progress.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being? 

  • The well-being of all of our pupils is our primary concern at Grange Moor Primary School. They are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the school day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) is integral to our curriculum and is taught within each class.
  • Additional support from specialist staff is arranged as needed for individual pupils, both in and out of the classroom; a tailored personal plan may be put in place for pupils with the highest need
  • Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.
  • We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to school after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged unauthorised absence.
  • Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and in some cases all staff receive training. We have a medical policy in place.
  • Pupils’ views are sought through school council and other forums.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school? 

  • We will always seek advice and support from appropriate bodies when necessary to support pupils’ individual needs.
  • All external partners we work with are vetted in terms of safe guarding and when buying in additional services we monitor the impact of any intervention against cost, to ensure a value for money service.
  • Educational outside agencies include: Educational Psychology (EPS), Kirklees SEN Assessment and Commissioning Team (SENACT) and Outreach Services
  • Specialist health services include: Speech and Language Therapy (SALT), Occupational Therapy (OT); Physio-therapy (PT); Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS); Northorpe Hall (CHEWS) and other health professionals
  • We work with Social Services and Community Police as required.


What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having? 

  • We regularly invest time and money in training our staff to improve Wave 1 provision (high quality, differentiated teaching) for all children. We also develop enhanced skills and knowledge to deliver Wave 2 provision (short term support interventions) and Wave 3 provision (individualised support and interventions).
  • All our teachers hold qualified teacher status and all staff members, including teaching assistants, receive regular training to best support our pupils with SEND.
  • We have Teachers and Teaching Assistants qualified to lead a number of interventions 


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips? 

  • Our School Inclusion Policy promotes involvement of all of our learners in all aspects of the curriculum including activities outside the classroom.
  • Where there are concerns for safety and access, a personalised risk assessment is carried out to consider if reasonable adjustments can be made to meet any additional needs; if appropriate parents/carers are consulted and involved in planning.


How accessible is the school environment? 

  • The main part of the school and all teaching classrooms are accessible for wheelchairs and there are disabled changing and toilet facilities within the building.
  • The auditory and visual environment is monitored to check that it is suitable for all learners and would be modified should any child require it (e.g. use of specialised sound systems for children with hearing impairments)
  • Equipment and facilities for children with SEND will be modified or purchased as necessary in consultation with outside agencies and parents as required.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new setting or the next stage of education and life? 

  • We have very good relationships with our feeder settings and the settings that most of our pupils move onto; we share information to support pupils’ learning and well-being at transition
  • Further support is provided as necessary for those with SEND including additional visits to the new setting, both individually and as part of an enhanced transition programme for identified pupils. 


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs? 

  • Our finances are monitored and audited regularly and we utilise resources to support the strategic aims of our setting as well as individual learner needs.
  • We seek to ensure a ‘value for money’ service, therefore all interventions are costed and evaluated.


How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive? 

  • Quality First Inclusive Practice (Wave 1) is clearly defined in our setting and we expect all staff to deliver this.
  • Should additional (Wave 2 or 3) support be required, this is undertaken after consultation with the relevant staff, the learner and their families as necessary. All interventions are monitored for impact and outcomes are defined at the start of any intervention. The SENCo oversees all additional support and regularly shares updates with the Head teacher and the SEN Governor.


How are parents involved in the school? 

  • We work in partnership with parents to support each child’s well-being, learning needs, progress and aspirations.
  • We operate an open-door policy to allow parents to contact their child’s class teacher with ease.
  • Parents are invited to become involved in school-life through a number of means e.g. the School Fundraising Group, parent workshops, parent assemblies, hearing children read and ongoing invitations to school events throughout the year.
  • Teacher are available to discuss our different strategies for learning with parents (i.e. the way that phonics is taught, calculation strategies for maths etc…), giving parents the confidence to support their child’s learning at home.
  • Our Governing Body includes Parent Governors/representatives


Who can I contact for further information?

KIAS (Kirklees Information Advice and Support Service) an also be contacted if:

  • In the first instance, parents/carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher. For students with SEND, further information and support can be obtained from the SENCo.
  • you are worried about your child's progress
  • you have a child with Special Educational Needs (with or without a statement or Education Health and Care Plan)
  • you live in Kirklees and your child is aged 0-25 years.

For details please see http://www.kias.org.uk/ or telephone 01484 225422.

The Kirklees Local Offer

From September 2014 Kirklees Council has been required to publish, in one place, information about the services and provisions we expect to be available in our area for children and young people from birth to 25 years of age who have Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND), together with additional information about services outside of Kirklees which children and young people from our area may wish to use. This approach is known nationally as the ‘Local Offer’ and more information can be found here. Alternatively contact LocalOffer@kirklees.gov.uk.

Kirklees Independent Advice and Support Service for SEN and Disability (KIAS)

The role of KIAS is to ensure that parents have access to confidential and impartial information, advice and support so they can make informed decisions about their child's special educational needs. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, providing information, services and training, working with relevant agencies and ensuring parents' views influence local policy and practice. More information can be found here.

PCAN (Parents of Children with Additional Needs)

PCAN are an independent, parent-led forum in Kirklees for all parents and carers of children and young people with additional needs aged from birth to 25 years. They provide lots of good information, links to social media for networking with other parents, and together they provide a strong, collective voice so that they can work in partnership with service providers across Kirklees. Together we can improve services for our children and young people with additional needs. For more information click here.

Links to other agencies

At Grange Moor Primary School, we have forged some very effective links in our multi-agency approach to working to meet the needs of pupils with special educational needs. We access these through single service referral forms, or through the Single Assessment process when parents can decide to consent to a multi-agency approach to their child’s needs/family needs co-ordinated by the key working process.

Some of the agencies we regularly work with are:-


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services - This service can be accessed following referral from a medical professional (G.P./School Nurse). SENCOs can also refer to the service directly. With parental consent, CAMHS will work with us to support children, recommending strategies for staff to use in school.


ChEWS is the Tier 2 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service for children and young people in Kirklees. The Service provides short term targeted interventions to children and young people who are aged 5 to 19 and whose emotional needs are impacting on their day to day lives. For further information please click here

Hearing impaired Service/Visually Impaired Service

These services can be called upon to support children in educational settings who have hearing /visual impairments respectively. With consent, schools can refer to the service.

Children's Speech and Language Therapy - Locala

This service can be called upon to support children with speech, language or communication problems. With consent, schools can refer to the service. Some children are also referred via their GP or a School Nurse.

Educational Psychologists

The school is supported by an educational psychologist who works very closely with the SENCO. Following consent and referral, the educational psychologist assesses and supports individual pupils with special educational needs by providing parents and school staff with detailed reports and suggestions for actions based on identification of need. The educational psychologist is very important in contributing to statutory assessment/Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans.

Children's Occupational Therapy - Locala

This service receives a referral from a health professional or from a SENCO, with parental consent. They explore, assess and guide provision around various physical difficulties. Often a report to school will be followed by sessions with an assistant from the service.


Various other agencies can be accessed, according to need.